Help is needed for two of Castle’s curricula. The following message is from Carlos Kaukahi Labasan Severson, Castle High School, Hawaii, Hoʻoulu ʻOpio Academy of Natural Resources, Agriculture / FFA Advisor.
“Aloha, we are looking for last minute funding for both of our programs this summer: Agriculture Science and Farm Maintenance Curriculum. We understand that you may not be able to fund us but perhaps a contact in your network might be interested in a taxable donation to us. Please help us by getting the word out.
Ag Science Dates: June 4 – July 3, Monday – Friday 8:00am to 2:00 pm
Farm Maintenance Curriculum: 8 hrs per week on a varied schedule June / July. Students get paid Hawaii minimum wage
Why: We were counting on additional funding but we recently found out that our programs do not meet the funding requirements of the grantor.
Amounts we are looking to receive with description: (Any support is appreciated)
- $1450 CASE AFNR Science Refill Kit (expendable and supplemental materials):
- $600 Light Microscopes and prepared agar petri dishes
- $900 Lead Teacher Salary Differential (salary shortage in current budget)
- $750 To pay for a third student to participate in Farm Maintenance Curriculum (we had to drop two students –
- $1500 to pay for two students, our original number)
- $1900 For new rakes, wheel barrels, gasoline, diesel, weed whacking supplies, tractor grease, shovels, irrigation repair materials, etc.
- $500 snacks for science
- $3400 to pay for a supporting science teacher – we hoped to really increase retention and understanding by having two teachers for about 12 students.
Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions via phone, text or email (I respond much faster to text and phone calls).
Carlos Kaukahi Labasan Severson
Castle High School, Hawaii
Hoʻoulu ʻOpio Academy of Natural Resources
Agriculture / FFA Advisor
Mahalo for your kokua!